Getting Involved with Ai-Kon
Applications for Ai-Kon 2020 are open!
First Thing’s First
You are currently looking at the procedure to becoming a member of the Ai-Kon committee. Ai-Kon recommends that you volunteer as a ‘day of’ volunteer at the event before you consider applying to join the committee.
Find out more about ‘day of’ volunteering:
Winterfest: February 22, 2020
Ai-Kon: July 24-26, 2019
WHERE: Typically central and in the downtown area (location is subject to change).
WHEN: Typically occur on Sundays in the afternoon.
Typically the committee meeting schedule is as follows:
September to December – Once a month
December to June – Twice a month
June to July – Every week
Requirements for being on the Ai-Kon staff
– Must be over 18 years of age.
– Must have reliable access to the internet, e-mail and a desktop or laptop computer.
– Must be able to attend at least 70% of committee meetings.
– Must produce regular progress updates. Updates can be provided via e-mails, Skype, Google Hangouts, text, phone calls and meetings.
– Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing. Any position that communicates regularly with the public, customers or other organizations, must take time out to screen messages/ materials for errors.
– Ability to work independently and in a team environment, to organize and prioritize multiple demands, and to exercise sound judgment and discretion.
– Ability to work under stressful conditions and to meet frequent, multiple and conflicting deadlines.
– Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain healthy relationships with the public, the community and representatives of other organizations.
Committee Behavioral Guidelines
– Any information discussed in meetings or in committee correspondence is considered strictly confidential. Many aspects of the event are prone to change or cancellation. Information that is to be presented to the public must go through the appropriate channels for release.
– Maintain professionalism. Many positions are in contact with industry professionals throughout the convention.
– Consult an officer or a director if clarification is required for defining which staff position/ wing is responsible for a task.
-All items defined in Ai-Kon’s ‘Access Policy’ apply to all volunteers as well as attendees and individuals at events.
Benefits of being on the Committee
– The pride of knowing that you helped create amazing events.
– Free access admission to all of our event.
– Attendance to the staff only functions including: post-con dinner party, volunteer pizza, staff Christmas, etc.
– Discounted hotel rooms over the convention weekend with other committee members. (This benefit is available on a case-by-case basis)
– Staff functions (i.e.: Christmas Party, etc.)
– Hanging out with awesome people!
– Making lifetime friends
Do I get paid? How Much?
All of our position on the committee are 100% volunteer. Directors, Officers, ‘staff’ and day of event volunteers are all unpaid positions. Please see the benefits listed above.
Can I enter convention or organizational contests?
Staff members are no longer eligible to win any judged contests held by our organization. (i.e: cosplay, etc.)
Do I HAVE to volunteer before joining the committee?
No, although it is preferred. If you do not have volunteer experience, please let us know if you feel that you have strong experience in the field you are applying for. Volunteering doesn’t just give you a great experience in a fun atmosphere, but it also gives us an idea of how you work and how WELL you work with us.
What are the different volunteer levels of Ai-Kon?
1. Directors. The three heads of the convention. President, Vice President, and Secretary-Treasurer.
2. Officers. The committee is divided into wings of responsibility. Officers supervise the progress and positions within their respective areas.
3. Volunteer Staff. Members whose responsibilities require them to be at every committee meeting.
4. Junior Volunteer staff. These members are considered committee with either limited or focused responsibilities. They are typically not required to come to every meeting and have limited access to staff benefits.
5. Day of Event Volunteers.
I live outside Winnipeg, can I still join the committee?
Absolutely. You are still expected to attend all committee meetings as scheduled.
I’m a member of <anime club>, will this be okay?
If you are an executive or on the board for another convention/club or an affiliated organization, this would be a conflict of interest; you would not be permitted to hold an officer or director position. You would be eligible for any of our non-executive positions.
Ai-Kon Committee Positions
The organization’s structure and committee job descriptions are listed on google documents. Click on the link in the application form below to view. Positions marked with an asterisk (*) are considered junior staff. Positions marked with a (Volunteer) are volunteer positions.
Please note that positions are volunteer in nature and there is NO salary or payment.
Applications for ALL positions are OPEN!
If a form does not appear after this line, please disable your browser’s ad blocker.
Please make sure you receive a confirmation email after submitting your form. If a confirmation email is not received (make sure to check your junk mail), you can resubmit the form or contact email@example.com for further assistance.