Wintefest 2020 IRON COSPLAY
Join us at Winterfest for the creative chaos of IRON COSPLAY. Teams of 2 will compete against each other to race the 5 minute clock and create a cosplay of the “secret character” revealed at the start of each round, using only a box of mystery supplies to do so.
Teams will be eliminated each around till one reigns supreme as IRON COSPLAY CHAMPIONS.
Ai-Kon would like to recognize the following organizations for their amazing support of our 2019 Cosplay Contest:
Cosplay Table Hours:
- Friday, July 27th – Noon – 6:00 pm
- Saturday, July 28th
- Cosplay Contest Registration – 10:00am – 2:00pm
- Prop Check and Repair booth 10:00 am – 5:00 pm
- Sunday, July 29th – 11:00 am – 2:00pm
Please note that Cosplay Registration Desk, Prop/Weapons Check and Repair Booth are located in 2nd floor south building.
Before attending our convention please ensure you read in full and understand the Ai-Kon’s Costume and Weapons policy.
There is a wide variety of characters and styles seen in Japanese media, this allows cosplayers for a variety of outfit options available to wear to conventions. Ai-Kon is a family friendly event, please exercise discretion in the costume you choose, how it is constructed, and how you act in it.
While there are no definitive criteria for what will be deemed inappropriate, ‘common sense’ guidelines will be used by the Ai-Kon or RBC CC venue staff in their decisions.
Please try to avoid overtly suggestive costumes; if possible, modify outfits that may not meet criteria in a way that will create less issue (e.g. shorts instead of a speedo).
We also ask that you conduct yourself appropriately in public and not in a manner that may be considered lewd, suggestive, or will otherwise make attendees and the public uncomfortable. Please be advised that our convention has an Access Police that will be enforced.
In the end, what will and will not be considered acceptable at Ai-Kon is up to the discretion of the Cosplay Department. If a costume or attendee’s conduct falls under what is considered to be inappropriate, Ai-Kon will ask you to adjust the outfit and/or behaviour accordingly, otherwise, you will have to change.
Failure to comply with the cosplay and weapons policy may result in expulsion, without refund, from Ai-Kon. In server instances, the police may be contacted.
Misuse of a prop, weapon or any other item even if it falls within Ai-Kon’s weapons policy it may also result in the prop being either confiscated and being asked to leave the convention for misconduct.
- All props must be checked by the Ai-Kon Prop Check Staff.
- Please note, that even if an item was approved last year it must be rechecked each year.
- IF YOUR ITEM IS NOT APPROVED IT MUST BE REMOVED FROM THE CONVENTION
- Any weapon, prop or other items which do not meet the criteria, listed below, must be immediately returned to a hotel room or vehicle for the duration of the convention, or held by Winnipeg Convention Security and returned at the end of the convention.
- If the weapon, prop or item is needed for the cosplay competition, arrangements can be made for it to be delivered to the backstage area for the competition, immediately after which the item must be returned to security or removed from the convention.
WORKING WEAPONS ARE NOT PERMITTED AT AI-KON
- Attendees cannot carry or possess any working weapon at any time during the convention.
- The definition of “working weapon” includes, but is not limited to: firearms and ammunition of any and all sorts (BB guns, pellet guns, cap guns, air-soft weapons, paintball guns), tasers, explosives, knives, swords (including katanas, bokken and other martial arts style swords), daggers, sword canes, switchblades, fireworks or firecrackers, axes, hatchets, clubs, silly string, martial arts weapons, brass knuckles, chains, pepper spray, baseball bats, mace and any other projectile item, toy or real.
- Firearms that have the firing pin removed or barrel filled to make them unusable are still considered “real weapons” and are NOT permitted.
- Airsoft weapons that have been gutted and remain with an orange tip are permitted but must be prop checked to ensure they have indeed been rendered non-firing.
BOWS, SWORDS AND OTHER PROP WEAPON GUIDELINES
- Bows are allowed only if they are rendered incapable of firing a projectile. Arrows must have blunt tips.
- Props under 50 inches long or wide, and less than 2 inches in thickness may be made out of carved wood materials, of any kind, wooden dowel’s are also acceptable as cores in foam oversized weapons or staffs.
- Cardboard, foam, balsa or other light, craft-type wood, light and/or plastic or materials similar in nature to those items are acceptable.
- Realistic replica firearms are allowed only if such weapon cannot be mistaken for a real weapon, IE: they have an orange tip.
- Any realistic replica guns not meeting criteria must be removed from the convention floor.
- All items purchased in the Marketplace are considered merchandise until they are removed from their packaging, at which time they fall under Ai-Kon’s weapons policy.
- These items include, but are not limited to, replica knives, daggers, ninja weapons (metal or hard plastic kunai knives, shuriken, etc.), and combative clothing (such as metal/hard spikes)
- Any such item purchased at the Marketplace must be wrapped before leaving the vendor’s table and immediately taken, unopened, to a room or car.
Ai-Kon Inc. nor any of its affiliates, will not be held responsible for any loss, damage, theft or injury. Attendees are responsible for their individual actions and any repercussions that may result.
This policy is subject to change at any time. All the laws of the land apply.
Ai-Kon 2019 Cosplay Contest
Taking place on Saturday, July 27, 2019 this is where you, or your group, gets time on stage to exhibit your costumes in front of a panel of judges and a cheering crowd.
Add a little flair to your stage time to make yourself memorable; you never know, doing a skit with a little song and dance might give you just the edge you need to come out on top.
All props to be used must be approved by Ai-Kon prop check staff before their allowance on stage.
Online entry will not be available, and to reserve a slot you will need to sign up at the convention.
There will be a limited number of sign-up sheets available at the cosplay desk. Contest sign up forms don’t have to be handed in immediately, but must be completed and entered before 2:00 pm on Saturday, July 27 in preparation for the event.
If you decide against participating, please bring the sign-up form back to the cosplay desk (located in South Building 2nd floor).
Skits should be no more than four minutes unless pre-approved.
Preferably, skits should be pre-recorded to make things smoother; it makes it more difficult to forget lines, it doesn’t necessitate having you shout out your lines, and it can simply help you relax by taking the pressure off of you to deliver your lines correctly.
For more information on the 2019 fashion show please check our Fashion Show page