Ai-Kon 201 Mascot Contest Winner
Our 2017 Mascot Contest came to a close on January 14, 2017. Congratulations to Dave for his detailed and striking power suit Aiko! Dave's entry will be used in Ai-Kon 2017 promotional material and he has won an art table at Ai-Kon 2017. You'll see more examples of Dave's work at Ai-Kon 21-23, 2017 at the RBC Convention Centre!
All entries can be seen here. Thank you for all the creative, stunning entries from our artists! Every year we have a hard time choosing our winner and this year was no different. Our theme was difficult and we are so excited that we got so many wonderful entries! Thanks to all the artists for their hard work and creativity that went into creating their amazing mecha/power suit Aikos. Art table sales for Ai-Kon will be announced in spring!
Winterfest Mini Art Contest Winner
Our Winterfest Mini Art Contest came to a close on November 26, 2016. Congratulations to chande for her mischievous and unique interpretation of Doug! Chande's entry will be used in Winterfest promotional material and she has won an art table at Winterfest. You'll see more examples of her wonderful work on February 25, 2017 at the RBC Convention Centre!
All entries can be seen here. Thank you for all the beautiful, stunning entries from our artists! This year was a huge explosion in number of Mini Art Contest entries and we are very excited that there was so much interest! Thanks to all the artists for their hard work and creativity that went into creating their wonderful Dougs. Art table sales for Winterfest 2017 will open this Saturday, December 3rd, 2016 at 12:00 PM.
Winterfest Table Sales
Art tables for Winterfest will go on sale at 12:00 PM on December 3rd, 2016.
Registration applications will be submitted via form located at: Winterfest 2017 Artist Faire Application. The form will be activated for submission at 12:00 PM on Dec 3rd, 2016. No email applications will be accepted; please submit your request via the form linked above.
Artists will be notified of acceptance 48 hours after application form submission. Upon acceptance, artists will be emailed a link to our online registration and payment form. Artists must complete and submit the form and payment by January 14th, 2016.
If artists choose to mail in their forms and payment, please notify the Artist Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org) at time of application or any time after to make arrangements.
Cancellations after February 4th, 2017 are not entitled to a refund due to the difficulty of arranging for another artist to take the position.
Unless special arrangements are made, all artists are required to sign in for their table upon arrival at Winterfest or it may be considered forfeit.
Artist Faire Rules
Artwork and Merchandise
- Artwork sold at Ai-Kon must be anime or of Japanese/Asian inspiration and may be done in any medium with the exclusion of food.
- Artwork for sale must be produced only by the individuals signing this agreement.
- Fanart is acceptable, so long as you credit the series or creator. The artist understands the legal risks involved with selling fan art depicting trademarked and/or licensed characters.
- No reproductions of existing works are permitted.
- Second hand merchandise or trademark items may not be sold. Examples of this include upcycled merchandise using trademarked components.
- Hentai, sexually explicit or explicitly violent artwork may not be openly displayed. This will be at the discretion of Ai-Kon staff. Such artwork may be sold discreetly, but may not be viewed or purchased by any person under the age of 18.
- Artists must abide by Winterfest art/vendor room hours. (12:00 PM – 8:00 PM.)
- No more than two artists are permitted behind each artist table in the room.
- Artists seated behind artist tables must have appropriate coloured wristband/pass.
- All drinks in the room must be contained in resealable containers.
- Personal items are to be kept underneath art tables (not behind) to ensure a safe walking space.
- Artwork is not permitted on the walls of the RBC Convention Centre; please utilize your table space.
Double Art Contest Announcement!
AI-KON 2017 MASCOT CONTEST
We’re looking for a new design for Aiko, the Ai-Kon mascot, for use in promotions and on the convention’s merchandise. Aiko appears on a variety of Ai-Kon materials including t-shirts, posters, flyers, badges, programs, and the Ai-Kon website.
In a future, war-torn world, Earth has become the target of attack from many threats. The government is too corrupt to provide adequate protection for its citizens so society has turned to depend on itself to dole out justice and to fight the invaders.
Technology rules, with modifications and enhancements available for even the poorest of citizens. There stands one lone protector against the strife: Aiko!
This year’s theme is Mecha/Power Suit Aiko.
Generally, Aiko is a cheerful, stylish, energetic anime girl with pink hair and blue eyes. Please keep the eye and hair colour but feel free to change the attitude to suit the theme. Also remember that Ai-Kon is a family friendly convention.
What is "Mecha/Power Suit"? A “mecha” is defined as a “humanoid robot or machine controlled/operated by a human usually within the machine”. A “power suit” is a “powered exoskeleton or armor that imparts technological benefits on the wearer”. This year, we’re looking for representations of Aiko in a power or mecha suit that will grant her enhancements. Examples range from suits similar to that of Samus Aran or the Power Rangers to those depicted in Gundam Wing, Escaflowne and/or Pacific Rim.
When choosing an Aiko, the Ai-Kon committee considers many aspects, including relevance to the theme, colour palette, pose, lines, anatomy, and overall effect. We favour entries that appropriately represent Aiko in age, physical attributes, and personality and that will represent Aiko well to our audience. In addition, we look for an entry's ability to be placed on promotional media, including the badges, posters, and t-shirts.
Entries must be received no later than Saturday, January 14, 2017 at 11:59 pm CST and will be judged by the Ai-Kon committee.
Rules and Requirements
- Entries must be full-body artwork
- Entries must not have a background
- Entries must not feature poses, outfits, and/or hair styles of copyrighted characters, or copyrighted characters themselves.
- Entries must not be adult-themed. This will be at the discretion of Ai-Kon executives. Please ensure entries are suitable for all ages.
- Entries must be full-colour, 300 dpi resolution or higher, and submitted electronically in JPEG, BMP, or Photoshop format. A smaller version of your entry may be submitted for judging as long as a higher resolution version is available.
- Entries should not be watermarked.
- A maximum of three entries will be accepted per person. Note that all entries should be individual and not adjustments (i.e. palette swaps) of a previous entry.
- When submitting entries, please use the following naming format for your file: firstname_lastname_01.jpg.
- The winner will receive a free art table, weekend admission to Ai-Kon 2017, and an Ai-Kon 2017 t-shirt. The winning entry will be used for Ai-Kon 2017 promotional materials and merchandise.
- The two runners-up will receive a free half art table at and weekend admission to Ai-Kon 2017!
If you are unable to see the form, please click here.
WINTERFEST MINI ART CONTEST
The Winterfest Mini Art Contest is now closed. Winners will be announced shortly!
This year’s Winterfest is Japanese festival-themed and we want you to design Doug, our lovable and mischievous Winterfest mascot, as a Japanese youkai! A youkai is a supernatural being (monster, spirit and/or demon) in Japanese folklore that is generally mischievous or malevolent. Since our little scamp Doug is a trickster in nature, he will be the perfect youkai!
Entries can be of any medium! Entries for the Mini Art Contest must be received no later than Saturday, November 26, 2016 at 11:59 pm CST. The winner will receive a free art table and one (1) admission to Winterfest on Saturday, February 25th, 2017 at the RBC Convention Centre Winnipeg!
How to Enter
You can now enter the 2017 Mascot Contest online by using our submission form above!
Participants will receive a confirmation e-mail within a week of submission.
Entries must be received no later than Saturday, January 14, 2017 at 11:59 pm CST (2017 Mascot Contest) and Saturday, November 26, 2016 at 11:59 pm CST (Winterfest Mini Art Contest) and will be judged by the Ai-Kon committee. The winners will be announced soon after!
All entries to past years' Mascot Contests can be found here. All questions can be sent to email@example.com.
Ai-Kon's Artist Faire is where attendees can find original artwork and crafts from their favourite anime, manga or game series! Our Artist Faire encompasses a wide range of talented artists, from media to textiles to crafts. Breathtaking posters and prints, adorable charms and trinkets, or even handmade apparel and plushies – we’ve got it all. Con-goers can even commission their favourite artist for a personalized work of art!
Interested in participating at Ai-Kon’s Artist Faire?
We accept a wide range of artists with varying experience levels. Whether you’re new to your craft or are a pro in the convention circuit, you’re welcome to take part in our Artist Faire! Ai-Kon has a great artist community that is supportive and creative, so if you need ideas or have questions, feel free to ask any of our lovely artists about their experiences at Ai-Kon.
Applications for Ai-Kon’s 2017 Artist Faire will open in the spring of 2017.
Applications for Winterfest will open at the end of November! The announcement should be up soon. Keep an eye out on our news feed!
Information for 2017 Ai-Kon Artist Faire applications will be announced in mid- to late March. Any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org.