Ai-Kon 2016 Cosplay Contest
The Cosplay Contest is the main event where you, or your group, gets time on stage to exhibit your costumes in front of a panel of judges and a cheering crowd. Add a little bit of flair to your stage time to make yourself memorable; you never know, doing a skit with a little song and dance might give you just the edge you need to come out on top!
Video of the Cosplay Contest is available here!
|Ai-Kon would like to thank our gracious sponsors of the Cosplay Contest for all of their support!|
Sewing and Embroidery Warehouse
Bank of Montreal
If you're not much for acting, we still have an event for you to get your image across to the rest of the convention attendees. The Cosplay Fashion Show is just that, a show that allows you to get your costume out in the spotlight in front of a large audience. You'll be brought on stage with a short introduction of who you are, your character, and what you're from. Strut on stage and do a pose for the judges and photographers. Music will be supplied for you that we can play that to help with the image you're trying to get across.
A convention?! What better a time to show off that fancy costume of your favorite character you've worked so hard on? Nothing starts a conversation in quite the same way as a well made costume, and there's plenty of ways for you to show off. There's also a few rules for prospective cosplayers that we'd like you to follow to make the convention safe and enjoyable for everyone.
Looking for the "Escape Winter Cosplay Contest"? Follow this link!
With the wide variety of characters and styles seen in Japanese media comes many options available to our cosplayers for outfits to wear to the convention. However, due to Ai-Kon being an all-ages event, we ask that you stress discretion in the costume you choose, how it is constructed, and how you act in it.
While there are no definitive criteria for what will be deemed inappropriate, common sense guidelines will be used in our decisions. Please try to avoid overtly suggestive dress; if possible, modify outfits that may not meet our criteria in a way that will create less issue (ex. shorts instead of a speedo). We also ask that you conduct yourself appropriately in public and not in a manner that may be considered lewd, suggestive, or will otherwise make people uncomfortable.
In the end, what will and will not be considered acceptable at Ai-Kon is up to the discretion of the cosplay committee. If your costume or conduct falls under what we consider to be inappropriate, we will ask you to adjust your outfit and/or behavior accordingly, otherwise you will have to change.
For the safety of all convention attendees, please ensure you have read and understood the prop policies of Ai-Kon if you plan on cosplaying.
Failure to comply with the rules may result in your expulsion, without refund, from Ai-Kon.
Misuse of a prop, weapon or any other item even if it falls within Ai-Kon rules may also result in the prop being either taken away from you, or you being asked to leave the convention for misconduct.
WORKING WEAPONS ARE NOT PERMITTED AT AI-KON
- Ai-Kon attendees may not carry or possess any working weapon at any time during the convention.
- The definition of "working weapon" includes, but is not limited to: firearms and ammunition of any and all sorts (BB guns, pellet guns, cap guns, air-soft weapons, paintball guns), tasers, explosives, knives, swords (including katanas, bokken and other martial arts style swords), daggers, sword canes, switchblades, fireworks or fire-crackers, axes, hatchets, clubs, silly string, martial arts weapons, brass knuckles, chains, pepper spray, mace and any other projectile item, toy or real.
- Firearms that have the firing pin removed or barrel filled to make them unusable are still considered "real weapons" and are not permitted.
- Airsoft weapons that have been gutted and remain with an orange tip are permitted, but will be policed to ensure they have indeed been rendered non-firing
BOWS, SWORDS AND OTHER PROP WEAPON GUIDELINES
- Bows are allowed only if they are rendered incapable of firing a projectile. Arrows must have blunt tips.
- Props under 50 inches long or wide, and less then 2 inches in thickness may be made out of carved wood materials, of any kind, wooden dowel's are also acceptable as cores in foam oversize weapons or staffs.
- Cardboard, foam, balsa or other light, craft-type wood, light and/or plastic or materials similar in nature to those items are acceptable.
- Realistic replica firearms are allowed only if such weapon cannot be mistaken for a real weapon, IE: they have an orange tip.
- Any realistic replica guns not meeting this criteria will not be allowed and must be returned to a hotel room, car, or convention center security booth.
IF YOUR ITEM IS NOT APPROVED IT MUST BE REMOVED FROM THE CONVENTION
- Any weapon, prop or other items which do not meet the aforementioned criteria must be immediately returned to a hotel room or vehicle for the duration of the convention, or held by Winnipeg Convention Security and returned at the end of the convention.
- If the weapon, prop or item is needed for the cosplay competition, arrangements can be made for it to be delivered to the backstage area for the competition, immediately after which the item must be returned to security or removed from the convention.
Dealers' room items
- All items purchased in the dealers room are considered merchandise until they are removed from their packaging, at which time they fall under Ai-Kon's weapons policy.
- These items include, but are not limited to, replica knives, daggers, ninja weapons (metal or hard plastic kunai knives, shuriken, etc.), and combative clothing (such as metal/hard spikes)
- Any such item purchased at the dealer's room must be wrapped before leaving the vendor's table and taken, unopened, to a room or car.
Neither Ai-Kon Inc. nor any of its affiliates will not be held responsible for any loss, damage, theft or injury. Attendees are responsible for their individual actions and any repercussions that may result.
Please ensure you read and understand the the Ai-Kon weapons policy prior to attending the convention.
This policy is subject to change at any time.