Ai-kon 2019 Circle Event Guidelines
Dōjin (同人), is a general Japanese term for a group of people or friends who share an interest, activity, hobbies, or achievement. The word is sometimes translated into english as clique, fandom, coterie, society, or circle (e.g., a “sewing circle”). – via Wikipedia
Circle– All groups or individuals providing community content via the programming department, including but not limited to panelists, game show hosts, fashion show designers / models, dance showcase groups, performers, craft & demo hosts.
**Events taking place in the gamer’s lounge need to apply via gaming not the general events application**
Every year we have an amazing set of fans, collectors, cosplayers, dancers, industry professionals and other interesting members of the anime community present our selection of panels and events at our Ai-kon and Winterfest events.
Circles help share interesting stories, teach arts, create conversations and fun times for everyone! From learning how to make a Japanese style craft, finding out about anime soundtracks or joining others in a game show, we aim to fill our convention with a variety of community content for our attendees!
We are always looking for new Circle run events! Do you have a skill you want to teach? A passion for discussion? A love of interacting with the audience and creating memories? Check out our event guidelines below for what we’re looking for!
Ai-kon 2019 event submissions will close May 26th 2019.
Application Timeline (Ai-kon 2019)
- Submit an application during the open submission period (March 9th – May 26th, 2019 )
- Contact with Ai-kon Staff regarding any questions, scheduling concerns & pre-approvals (Date of Application – May 26th)
- Preliminary scheduling & approvals (May 1 – 26th)
- Application deadline & final scheduling (May 26th – 31st, 2019)
- Final approval & rejection notices, scheduling adjustments (June 1 – 7th)
- All programming changes deadline (including passes, bios, photos, music, prizes etc) (July 12th)
- Ai-kon pre-registration & Circle meet up (July 25th)
- Ai-kon 2019 (July 26, 27 & 28th)
- Please respect Ai-Kon and convention center property. Keep the panel room as clean and as you found it. Do not move around any furniture without permission. Please consult the Ai-Kon panel coordinator if you require a change in room set-up.
- Arrive at your designated time panel/event start slot in a timely manner. Any cancellations or delays should be reported to the Ai-Kon panel coordinator.
- Be mindful of your designated event completion time as other circles will be awaiting use of the room. Also, if the circle before you is running late, please be considerate and contact the Ai-Kon panel coordinator or room volunteer to see if the schedule is behind.
- There will be a 15-minute buffer between events for Circles to use for setup and teardown.
- As per convention center policies, no outside foods or drinks are allowed in the panel rooms. Special exceptions may apply if this is the pre approved focus of your event by the Ai-Kon panel coordinator.
- Failure to comply with these rules may result in a ban from hosting future events at Ai-Kon.
- Please do not begin formally organizing an event until you have received approval by the Ai-Kon panel coordinator.
Rules Regarding Event Content
- Ai-Kon is a family friendly con. Please keep all content and language to a PG13 level. (Please see below rules for 18+ events)
- Events that align with Ai-Kon’s mission statement of promoting Asian culture will receive higher priority in acceptance.
18+ Event Rules
- Events that involve ‘mature content’ including nudity, sexual content, heavy violence or gore, or any other content that is not family friendly (PG13) should be submitted as 18+
- Audience entry will require ID and all organizers are required to be 18+
- 18+ events should still follow all Canadian laws when it comes to content.
- While age restricted, these panels are still public. Please be mindful of the audience and provide any additional warnings for content may negatively affect individuals.
- Photography at 18+ events is only allowed by Ai-kon approved photographers
Event Room Styles:
- Theatre style seating. (audience area is comprised of only chairs facing the panelists)
- Classroom style seating. (each row of chairs is accompanied by tables for the audience use)
- Workshop style (open area with tables & chairs, no projector or mic)
- Open space (open area free of tables & chairs, for events like dance classes)
- Stage performance (performance upon main stage)
If you require a different room set up please note it on your application and we will access based on time and manpower available.
Standard Panel Room Equipment:
- Two skirted head tables with four chairs for panelists
- Projector (HDMI only)*
- Projector screen
- Speakers with 3.5mm jack
- Microphone (supplied via convention center and through their sound system)All other equipment to be brought in by the Circles in charge of the event.
*Circles needing a VGA converter are asked to supply their own
Note: Some equipment may not be available in some non-panel rooms. If you require a room other than a panel room, you may not have access to all features.
Below are the list of event types as per our application form. Some events may not fit neatly into one type, so please select the one that matches the most, or choose “other” and provide us with full details about your panel layout.
Panel / Presentation
A panel / presentation of a premade slideshow, speech or talk on a set topic. Often includes things like Q&A, audience participation, video examples and physical examples, or multiple hosts discussing a topic.
What we are looking for:
- Well researched topics
- Fun presentations
- Circles looking to share information
Craft Workshop / Demo
Teach a group of participants to make a craft, or demo an art style or process. (Examples: paper craft, traditional Japanese crafts, cosplay, resin, crochet, gardening, digital art, etc).
Craft workshops provide not only a learning experience, but something for participants to take home that they created themselves.
Demos can allow attendees to see a process up close and personal, and even get some hands on experience.
What we are looking for:
- Traditional Japanese / Asian crafts
- Anime based crafts
- Supplement of required materials and tools for the craft
- Clear and simple instructions at a beginners level
Ai-kon may be able to supply certain craft materials based upon donations from our community, please note on your application if you would like to request assistance in providing supplies, and we will look into any possibilities we may have.
Interactive game show using audience members (examples: Anime versions of Jeopardy, 1 vs 100, The Price is Right or newly created games)
What we are looking for:
- Hosts with a positive vibe
- A clear set of rules/steps your game show will follow
- Supplement of any required props
Ai-kon is happy to provide prizes for game show winners as we see appropriate.
The Ai-kon dance showcase is a main stage event open to dance groups & solo dancers to perform styles such as K-pop, J-pop, idol group, para para & traditional Asian dances.
The Ai-kon dance showcase takes place Saturday afternoon.
Standard stage time slot allotted for each team will be 15 min, depending on entrants.
All Circles taking part will be required to attend rehearsal, and remain in the backstage area until their performance is completed. Please see more information on the on the dance showcase page.
Open Space Activity
Dance classes, yoga, and other events that require an open area free of chairs & other furniture.
Open space activities are expected to be safe for general beginner level attendees to take part in, with no hard contact or dangerous actions.
We highly recommend making your open space activity accessible to as many participants as possible, and consider ways to get all kind of attendees involved.
Fandom / Community Meet Ups
A meet up is an event held in the workshop area (tables & chairs) and is run by a Circle to provide a mini event catered to a specific fandom or community attending Ai-kon, with the intention of welcoming new members, friends & fun.
A meet up is a great way to expand upon an exhibitor table, allowing more space for members of the community to attend & mingle.
Meetup events can include elements like:
- Cosplay group performances & character Q&A
- Friend making games
- Mini demos & workshops that may be to specific for an entire workshop time slot
- Tables for setting up group collections of merchandise, art or projects
- Reading & discussion groups
- Group photos
- Prizes / raffles (free to enter, drawn during event only)
- Swap meets (no cash sales, trades only)
The Circle organizing the meetup is required to:
- Arrive before the scheduled time & set up area.
- Provide a variety of fun discussion topics, skits, games, interesting trivia and/or physical items to keep the meetup interesting & welcoming.
- Talk to the fans who show up, help them make friends with those around them, ensure the conversation does not get to far off topic, or inappropriate.
- Find a volunteer or member of staff to intervene if an issue arises that they are not comfortable with. (example: attendee is using wildly inappropriate language, and has not stopped after being politely asked not to)
- Clean up at end of scheduled time, and ensure area is clear for next activity.
Some examples of the type of meetups we are looking for include:
- Doll meetup with shared doll table, mini faceup demo, clothing swap meet
- Artist meetup with creative drawing challenge & giveaway of neat art items
- Gunpla meetup with expanded building table, display table, swap meet & introduction to members of the club
- Cosplay “ask a nation” style groups with character Q&A, skits, fandom discussion & fanfic trade.
- Manga & light novel discussion groups & book trades
- Open anime club meetups, to introduce potential new members to the community and participate in a group activity
- Friend making activities in the style of ‘speed dating’ or group tables, run by a experienced host.
All Circles entering into the fashion show are required to do so via the fashion show application form, not the general events form. Please see the link for more information on the fashion show.
Circle Pass Policy 2019
All Circles running events at Ai-kon 2019 may be eligible for complimentary Weekend or Day Passes under our Circle Pass Policy.
Please check out the full Circle Pass Policy for detailed information on who is eligible.
Circle passes are subject to limitation per event, and misuse of Circle passes may result in penalty.
Ai-kon will not be issuing refunds on tickets purchased before the assignment of a complimentary pass.